PhD, University of California, Berkeley
- Environmental Economics
- Health Economics
- Development Economics
- Chinese Economy
- Political Economy
- Applied Econometrics
- Environmental Health
- Public Health
Prof. Guojun He is an economist working on environmental, health and development issues. He is an assistant professor appointed jointly at Division of Social Science, Division of Environment and Sustainability, and Department of Economics at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Before joining HKUST, he was a research fellow at Harvard University and obtained his Ph.D. degree from University of California, Berkeley.
His current research focuses on understanding the complex relationship between economic development, environment, and human health from an interdisciplinary perspective. His papers has been published on economics journals such as American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, Economic Development and Cultural Change, and Journal Environmental Economics and Management, and scientific journals such as, The British Medical Journal and Environmental Research. He won several best paper rewards, including Gregory Chow Best Paper Award from the Chinese Economists Society in 2015, and the Best Paper Award from China Health Policy and Management Society in 2016.
- He, Guojun and Shaoda Wang. “Do College Graduates Serving as Village Officials Help Rural China?”, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2017, 9(4), pp 186-215.
- Ebenstein, Avraham, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He*, and Maigeng Zhou. “New Evidence on the Impact of Sustained Exposure to Air Pollution on Life Expectancy from China’s Huai River Policy” (*co-first author), Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences (IF 10), 2017, 114(39), pp. 10384-10389.
- Liu, Tong, Guojun He, and Alexis Lau. “Avoidance Behavior against Air Pollution: Evidence from Online Search Indices for Anti-PM2.5 Masks and Air Filters in Chinese Cities”, Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10018-017-0196-3.
- Yin, Peng, Guojun He*, Maoyong Fan, et al. “Particulate Air Pollution and Mortality in 38 of China's Largest Cities: Time-Series Analysis” (*co-first author), The BMJ (IF 21), 2017, 356: j667.
- He, Guojun, Maoyong Fan, and Maigeng Zhou. “The Effect of Air Pollution on Mortality: Evidence from the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games”, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2016 (09), Vol. (79), pp. 18-39.
- He, Guojun and Jeffrey M. Perloff. “Surface Water Pollution and Infant Mortality in China”, Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2016, Vol. (65), pp. 119–139.
- Ebenstein, Avraham, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Guojun He, Peng Yin and Maigeng Zhou. “Growth, Pollution, and Life Expectancy: China from 1991-2012”, American Economic Review (P&P), 2015, (5), pp. 226-231.
- Zhou, Maigeng, Guojun He, Yunning Liu, et al. “The Associations between Ambient Air Pollution and Adult Respiratory Mortality in 32 Major Chinese Cities, 2006-2010”, Environmental Research (IF 4). 2015 (137), pp. 278-286.
- Zhou, Maigeng, Guojun He*, Maoyong Fan, et al. “Smog Episodes, Fine Particulate Pollution and Mortality in China” (co-first author), Environmental Research (IF 4). 2015 (136), pp. 396–404.
- He, Guojun and J. M. Perloff. “Does Customer Auditing Help Chinese Workers?”, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2013, Vol. 66 (2), pp. 511-524.
- He, Guojun and Chong Xu. “Determinants of Chinese Migrant Workers' Salaries: Human Capital or Social Capital?”, Journal of Agricultural and Technical Economics (Chinese), 2008 (1), pp. 57–65.
- He, Guojun, Chong Xu, and Chengcai Zhu. “Peasant Households' Willingness to Circulate Contractual Land–Evidences from Beijing Villages”, Economic Science (Chinese), 2007 (05), pp. 111–124.